With Plastic Pollution increasingly clogging the oceans, many of us are trying to reduce our use of plastic.
Here are some tips from recycling experts at JunkHunters:
- Think Before Buying: Avoid buying single use plastics such as water bottles and avoid fruit & veg packed in plastic. Buy loose produce from the fresh counters.
- Invest in a Strong Reusable Bag: Put back into the car once you have unpacked the shopping so that it is ready to use again and doesn’t get left behind on your next shop.
- Buy in Bulk: Buying food in bulk helps to reduce the amount of packaging used.
- Avoid Ready Meals: Cook from scratch at home to reduce buying takeaways and ready meals plastic packaging.
- Avoid Wet Wipes: These are made with plastic resins e.g. polyester. They are responsible for clogging drains when flushed down the toilet.
- Use Naked Toiletries: Some retailers sell toiletries with no packaging such as bars of shampoo and soap.
- Refuse Straws: Use paper and non-plastic straws rather than plastic ones.